Thursday, December 6, 2007

Virtual Tour and RMU Publications Clearinghouse

Thanks, Emily, for the invite and the request for feedback.

While we may not have a glamorous layout here, if we could consider some sort of virtual tour (including a floorplan and, possibly, photos - once the new, nice furniture arrives). Please see http://www.lee.edu/library/tour.asp for more details.

On the latter topic, I've created the metadata for The Sentry newspaper, Foundations magazine, and Rune literary magazine. I've reproduced the message received from Prof. Heather Pinson (which I forwarded to Emily earlier) with respect to their desire to digitize and post the Rune product. I know that Foundations is already digitized, and I'm not sure if Rex Crawley, etc. have explored how to archive The Sentry. My rationale for promoting the consideration of this concept is that it might coincide with our future mission (and of academic libraries in general) to be the gatekeepers for promoting, distributing, documenting, and archiving local collections.

1 comment:

Emily Paladino said...

Tom, some sort of institutional repository would be a big project, but there's probably a role for the library in there somewhere. Maybe we could start small?

I am deleting the email message you've copied to the blog: 1) because I have it in my email inbox already and 2) because I feel a little uncomfortable by having an email exchange between two people posted on a blog without permission from one of the individuals (not a big deal, as the blog is a "closed club", just better to leave it out, in my opinion). I hope you do not mind.