Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Cool features (technology-wise) for library web sites

There are many cool features being offered on library web sites these days, one thing we should investigate at this point is which of these "cool features" might not be possible, considering the University web server, etc.

Here are some of the tech features we should ask IT about, that I think are worth utilizing:
1)MEEBO
Would they have any problems with us using IM technology on our site?
Many schools are using this for their IM reference service:
Florida State, Utah State, American University, Duke University,
Other libraries use Jabber, Yahoo IM, MSN IM

2)LibraryThing or GoodReads
Web 2.0 widget similar to De.lic.ious tagging. Potential use: we can share new book suggestions with our users & vice versa ...


3)Blogs & RSS
Potential uses: librarian created subject guides, communicating news about new library resources, etc.
See: http://www.llrx.com/features/rssforlibrarians.htm
&
http://www.higheredblogcon.com/index.php/using-rss-to-increase-user-awareness-of-e-resources-in-academic-libraries/

...(a lot more examples of good uses of blogs in libraries to be shared in a later post)

4)PodCasts
Library tour for remote users, library instruction re: searching databases, etc. for remote users ...

2 comments:

Fran Caplan said...

How cool. I love the Northwestern homepage. Very nice. I feel a part of the 21st century with this blog--my very first blogging experience.

Chloe Mills said...

For everybody's info: Fran has given me permission to do a trial run on IM reference. The biggest concern is that it will (for the time being) be connected to my computer here at PGH. I haven't talked to Emily about this, nor have I purchased the software. That will happen this week though. Service will be limited because it is a trial run. But, y'all may want to take a look at info about the software.
http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/learn/